The WebDAV client for the iPhone.
Before anything else...
Please read our DAV-E Manual first.
Frequently Asked Questions
URLfield is active and you can choose a connection by pressing its line. Notice that the user name of the connection (if any) is part of the line (just behind the protocol prefix). If you don't like to scroll through the list you can instead type a part of the URL and the list is filtered automatically. You do not need to type the protocol
http://. It is used automatically if absent.
http://idisk.me.com/YourMemberName and your MobileMe member name as the user and your MobileMe password as the password. Notice that the member name does not contain the "@..." suffix but only the characters in front of to the "@" sign.
/Publicand do not use any user name or password.
Store Password" option is enabled and as soon as using HTTPS you can allow the usage of "unsafe" certificates.
- Is it a home made or modified server? If yes, verify that the server answers correctly to PROPFIND requests. Please check the specification.
- Are you using an IIS6 or IIS7? If yes, please check whether you use the latest version of DAV-E. There are some IIS installations with severe bugs concerning the WebDAV protocol. We managed to avoid problems by adding some special handling. Please check whether IIS updates are available (like KB957001).
- Are you using lighttpd? If yes try to use another server (eg. Apache2), because lighttpd has severe WebDAV bugs.
- Can other WebDAV clients connect? If you have a computer with a Mac OS X Operating System, open the Finder and press Option+K (connect with server) and enter the URL. If prompted enter your credentials too. A new window listing the resources should pop up. If you have a Windows Operating System please open the Internet Explorer and press Ctrl+O (open), enter the URL and check the "open as webfolder" option. After finishing the credentials dialog you should see the resources. If you can not connect with these clients please clarify the issue with your network administrator or provider.
- Do other clients work fine but DAV-E still rejects to connect?
We have some lines of code for Microsoft Windows which can help analysing the problem.
open a command shell, navigate to the directory used for the download and enter
cscript.exe propfind.js YourURL "YourUserName" "YourPassword"
The response is written to the command prompt. If you or your network administrator can not see a problem please send us the response and we'll try to help.
Removeswitch in the device Settings of DAV-E to
OFF. The next time you start DAV-E the database cache file is removed and not created anymore.
DAV-E stores the data used to establish a connection in a list. The password of the connection is only stored if you enable the switch. If you like to remove the data stored press the
clear listline at the bottom of the list.
showbutton and sometimes not. Why?
Save new documents as packagesand the
Include preview in document by defaultcheck boxes before you store your files.
getcontenttypeproperty returned by the server is incorrect (actually this is quite normal), and the content type guessing used by DAV-E guesses incorrectly as well. In this case, you will see not the expected result. Furthermore, there are limitations of the device, too. Not all types of images, word and excel files can be displayed. The supported video and audio formats are restricted as well. Cause these restrictions exist due to iPhone firmware limitations (which are subject to change!) we do not filter any audio and video filetypes which are currently not supported. It may be that some of these work with the next iPhone/iPod firmware update.
- To ensure that you can retrieve data from the cache the cache must be enabled.
This is only possible with the commercial version of DAV-E.
Enter the DAV-E section of your devices settings.
- As soon as the cache is enabled (and has a reasonable size to store the desired data) all server responses are automatically stored. This does lead to any speed up but rather may take a little bit of extra time.
- To use the cached data you have to connect with a proper Maximum Cache Age value:
Choosing the live option will never use data stored in the cache. In order to speed up navigation and display current data during a single program use a value one minute or one hour might be adequate. If you want to use as much cached data as possible just choose the infinite value.
- You have to enable the cache and set its size to a sufficient value (see above).
- Connect to the server and navigate to the collection containing all data you want to display offline. This may be the initial (root) folder. Press the button to retrieve the complete directory structure and download the file contents. You may repeat this step for every desired collection.
- If you want to cache only a some single resources you can either just display the content of the resources (this leads to an automatic cache update) or download the data manually by pressing the button when displaying the properties of the resource (this is mandatory if you like to add video data to the cache).
As soon as you added all data into the cache you may enter the airplane mode of your device
or just switch off every kind of connectivity.
If you start DAV-E and connect to the server with an
infiniteMaximum Cache Age you work completely offline.
- The Maximum Cache Age is limited and the entry is too old to be used.
The cache size is too small to hold all data.
If some data is added to the database exceeding the maximum quota data is removed automatically.
Accessing this data will lead to a new server lookup (and lead to the loss of other cached data).
You can display the current cache usage in the settings section of your device:
- If a modifying request (add, rename, delete, modify of a resource or a folder) was performed the affected part of the cache is invalidated automatically.
- Well, if you never visited the resource before, it can't be cached.
If the FAQ doesn't answer your question and you still are in trouble you can send us an E-Mail containing the URL (and username/password if needed), the path to the resource and a description how to reproduce the problem and we'll try to help. Send the email to iPhone@greenbytes.de.